Re: [Re: The future?] User Documentation

Lars Wirzenius wrote:
  >"Oliver Elphick":
  >> Can we please have contributors to the Debian Documentation Project, to
  >> write user documentation.  It would be really good to release slink with
  >> a full set of user manuals.
  >
  >Which reminds me: is it really necessary to re-write lots of LDP
  >documentation to be Debian specific, instead of working with the LDP to
  >improve the existing documentation?

The object of the DDP is to provide helpful documentation for inexperienced
users and administrators.  It is certainly not intended to replace man,
info, the HOWTOs the FAQs and the individual package documentation.

So far as is possible without pushing a poor Windows refugee out of his
depth, it is OK to refer to other resources.  It may well be appropriate
however to give summaries and examples of common use, which are often
lacking in package documentation.  Once the user has a vague idea what
a package does, he will find it much easier to understand the detailed documentation.

For example, say someone wants to start to learn how to program with X,
where should he start in the documentation; what packages should he
install.  Where can he find a helping hand up the first steps of the
ladder?   What should he read and what ignore?

This is what the DDP should be for.

     "But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then
      peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of
      mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without
      hypocrisy."     James 3:17