Re: markup language for tutorial

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 05:51:54PM +0200, Ardo van Rangelrooij wrote:
>
> > Yes.  Next week I'll start working on the LaTex output generator (I'll
> > also look at PDF via LaTeX :-).  Since LaTeX and Texinfo are similar,
> > I can at the same time work on a Texinfo generator.
>
> I'm happy to announce jadetex 1.0b5, coming end of this week, which includes
> pdfjadetex. So we have following formats for DSSSL with Jade:
>
> * RTF
> * DVI, PDF -> (dvips) PS
> * HTML
>
> A GROFF backend is under way, which would lead to plain tex, too.
>
> Looks good. Maybe texinfo is not so far away?
>
> Marcus

So, this means I don't have to start working on the LaTeX/Texinfo
output generators?  If not, how do we then procede with debiandoc?

Adding handling of new tags to output generators which become obsolete
in a short while seems to me a waste of effort.  Further, the package
will then consist of three parts: the DTD, the DSSSL stylesheet, and
the scripts calling the various SGML tools.  Who's then going to
maintain the package?  The person currently maintaining the DTD and
scripts, or the person who's going to write the DSSSL stylesheet
(which will become the major part of the package)?

We could also keep (and extend) the current generators and provide two
platforms: a Perl based and a DSSSL based.  One of the points made in
a discussion we had a while ago on this list about going to DocBook
and such, was that jade etc. were slower (how much and to which extend
I don't know; we should find this out).  Providing the two platforms
would give the Debian user the option to use the platform most
suitable for the needs at hand.  We could even split the current
package in a DTD-only package and a Perl based platform package.
Later on these two would be joined by the DSSSL based platform
package.  This would lead to some hassle with package dependencies and
revisions, but personally I don't consider that a big issue.

Thanks,

Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij