Re: markup language for tutorial

On Fri, Jul 10, 1998 at 09:47:46AM -0500, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> >
> > Should we perhaps convert to a restricted subset of docbook?
> >

> Will DocBook generate Texinfo? I looked quickly and didn't see a way to do
> that, but if it can then I like the idea. If we have to write our own
> converter though it may as well be for the small and simple DebianDoc.

No, DocBook will generate nothing. It is a DTD, so you need SGML
processing tools.  And Jade does not have a texinfo backend, sorry.

If you ask me, I think the RMS is on the wrong path with texinfo.
SGML is the whisper of the future. Maybe you want to ask him if they
dont want to donate a texinfo backend to jade dsssl engine?

However, I dont know how texinfo looks like. If it uses standard
markup, you may come around using a small converter, but it will
never be optimal.

Marcus