Re: DDH subdirs, URLs, and URNs

On Tue, Jul 07, 1998 at 07:15:00PM +0100, Marco Budde wrote:
> Am 06.07.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

Hello!

> APH> which means that it's not possible for doc providers to create new
> APH> nodes in the tree.
>
> No, Marcus and me have agreed that the package maintainer can add new dirs
> and this is very important. A good example is my doc-html-w3 package.
> Instead of putting all documents in /web, I#ve created a subdir /web/w3.
>
> We have agreed that dirs should be part of DDH, if more than one package
> uses this directory.

Marco, you should be a bit more careful about the wording.
Adam and me choose to speak more in abstract terms like
"sections", "nodes" etc. whereas you seem to think in concrete
manifestations as file directories. You are both correct in a
way. Let me explain: No package is supposed to create "nodes"
in the DDH, as Adam correctly stated. Nodes are DDH sections,
as defined in the DDH Subject Scheme. Well, some sort of
subsections packages should be able to create (there you are right,
Marco), but those would not be caled "nodes". Marco, you called both
"dirs", but they are in fact different. For example, application
"leaf nodes" are not allowed to have further subsections, whereas
nodes in the DDH are supposed to have subsections.

Marcus