Re: Programming Tutorial

Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
  >It seems that I and David Teague will collaborate on a
  >programming chapter for the tutorial. We're a little unsure
  >as to what should be covered.
  >
  >I assume we're not going to teach general programming or a
  >specific chapter. Our idea is to walk through the common use
  >of compilers, debuggers, automake, libraries and all such things.
  >Does this sound right? We also wonder if we should give a short
  >rundown of the most common (and some uncommon) languages and try
  >to make some neutral notes on their strengths and weaknesses,
  >and perhaps have some appendices with info on specific areas
  >such as CGI-programming.
  >
  >Any other ideas (and comments)?

I suggest you also go through the procedures for downloading and compiling
a source package.  In addition, the thing that a new user is most
likely to have to compile is the kernel; it might be a good thing to go
over that procedure in detail.

     "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ; for it
      is the power of God unto salvation to every one that
      believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."
                             Romans 1:16