Re: Debian User's Manual

robert havoc pennington <rhpennin@midway.uchicago.edu> writes:
> On 25 Jun 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> > Robert, it's nice to see your working on the site.  However, Oliver's
> > main point, as I read it, is that
> > http://www.debian.org/developers_corner is orphaned, effectively.
>
> That site has nothing to do with the documentation project, though it may
> well be orphaned.

This site has *everything* to do with the documentation project,
Robert.  It just has not much to do with your particular effort in
that respect.

> My main point, though, is that it's more important to write the
> documentation. We've been futzing with web sites, DTDs, coordination,
> planning, ad inifinitum.

What futzing?  I haven't seen any futzing?

I'm pointing out that we need a new documentation coordinator.  How
does this observation slow you down in your task?

> There still isn't a usable tutorial. Thus I'm
> putting the tutorial on its own site and its own CVS, and moving forward
> as best I can.  If someone wants to maintain the big DDP web site that's
> great, but it's not necessary for getting something done.

> Please, rather than wait for someone unspecified to do something big and
> diffuse, let's have each one of us do something small, specific, and
> attainable. My .02.

Agreed.  For someone, that task is going to be being our documentation
coordinator ;).  It's not as big a job, say, as writing that whole big
ambitious (over ambitious?) tutorial.

My particular bit is a unified meta-data format.  And my SGML
packages.  And Debian SGML in general.