Re: Debian User's Manual

On 25 Jun 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Robert, it's nice to see your working on the site.  However, Oliver's
> main point, as I read it, is that
> http://www.debian.org/developers_corner is orphaned, effectively.

That site has nothing to do with the documentation project, though it may
well be orphaned.

> We
> need someone to step up the the plate and take that over.  Someone who
> has some time (probably not a ton of time), who is organized, who has
> thick skin (i.e., won't let a few flames bother them), who can
> interact with others and try to coordinate documentation efforts.
>
> Futhermore the whole DDP pages should be hosted off a .debian.org
> machine, and hopefully be mirrored around like anything in normal
> www.debian.org space.

Valid points, and it would be nice to have someone do this.

My main point, though, is that it's more important to write the
documentation. We've been futzing with web sites, DTDs, coordination,
planning, ad inifinitum. There still isn't a usable tutorial. Thus I'm
putting the tutorial on its own site and its own CVS, and moving forward
as best I can.  If someone wants to maintain the big DDP web site that's
great, but it's not necessary for getting something done.

Please, rather than wait for someone unspecified to do something big and
diffuse, let's have each one of us do something small, specific, and
attainable. My .02.

Havoc