Re: Debian User's Manual

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Ole J. Tetlie wrote:
>   >
>   >I sent a message to Ardo about DUM, but I've got no reply. Since
>   >it's rather urgent I try you instead.
>   >

Ardo is a little slow to answer mail, but usually he does within a couple
of weeks.

The manual is theoretically split into an install manual covering
configuration (the logical next steps after install.txt), then the
tutorial covering end-user use, and finally some kind of sysadmin guide or
reference manual. Only the tutorial actually exists in any form.

The tutorial has hardly been touched in a couple months, but I hope to
finally have more time. I just got a Debian account, and you can now
access the tutorial at:
http://www.debian.org/~hp/debian-tutorial.html

I am trying to set up CVS but I can't seem to make remote access work.
However, anyone with a Debian account can access it now:

$ export CVSROOT=/cvs/tutorial
$ cvs checkout tutorial

I think the CVS tutorial is missing the last checkin Craig did, because
my copy wasn't up to date, but that will get fixed soon.

>   >I don't know if you have authors for all chapters or which chapters
>   >are available. By first choice would be programming, but I could
>   >also write something else.
>   >

I've also talked to David Teague about a programming chapter; maybe you
guys could work out who wants to do it. There are many other options; have
a look at what's there now and pick anything you're interested in that's
not there.

Let me know what you want to do before you leave, and we'll work on other
parts.

> What is going on??????@!#$%?

Things are moving veeerrry sloooowwwwly. ;-) Basically I've just started
doing everything myself (web page, etc.), since this results in it getting
done, if slowly.

The tutorial now has a link from the main debian site and is available at
the above URL. I think your contributions are in there, and mine, and some
other stuff.

We've gotten some response from users now, since it's been on the main
Debian site; at least, it's been mentioned sometimes on debian-user.
I also have 30k of comments from Richard Stallman that need to be
incorporated.

I would like to run this like a code development project. Basically,
people send contributions; significant contributors get CVS write access;
everyone feels free to make improvements to the tutorial.

Anyway - please, if anyone wants to contribute, just write something up,
however short, and send it to me. I'll add it to the document if it looks
good. You don't have to do a whole chapter.

In CVS there's a file which talks about copyright issues and some
notes on formatting conventions - for now I'll put it at
http://www.debian.org/~hp/AUTHOR-INFO

It seems like the main content of the list is me giving status reports and
telling how to contribute to a document that hasn't changed lately - I'd
like it to be discussion of the Tutorial content instead! As you write
please feel free to use this list as a development list, so progress is
visible.

Suggestions welcome, contributions appreciated.

Thanks,

Havoc