Re^8: some suggestions for docreg

Am 10.05.98 schrieb apharris # burrito.onshore.com ...

Moin Adam!

APH> > I can#t see the connection. You#ve suggested the following:
APH> Instead of *guessing* what I'm saying why don't you look at the spec?

Because you have not sent me your specs? I#ve printed the specs yesterday,
but I can not see a real solution for the problems.

APH> >   DocID: bla
APH> >   Title: Printing HOWTO
APH> >   Abstract: Descripes printing on a Linux system
APH> >
APH> >   File: ppp-howto.html
APH> >   Language: en
APH> >
APH> >   File: DE-PPP-HOWTO.html
APH> >   Language: de
APH> >
APH> > And this will *not* work.
APH> Nor is it what I was proposing in my spec.

? Ok, you call DocID Document and File Location, but where#s the
difference?

APH> This makes no sense.

? This is one solution and you#ve another.

APH> No document I care to write will explain to you the principles of good
APH> data design.  Sorry.

Keep cool :(.

So some comments to "your standard":

 1.) identifier#s abstract should be optional.
 2.) Maybe author should be renamed to editor, because one document
     can have several authors.
 3.) Using title and abstract in identifier and formats is not
     consistent.
 4.) There#s no description of the format of Document: and Location:
 5.) I#m missing the limits for the identifiers and formats.
 6.) Please remove chapter 2.3. This standard should descripe the
     file format and not one program, that will use this standard.
 7.) Please add examples, it#s very difficult for our maintainers
     to read the description in 822 format.

Here#re my suggestions for the identifier and formats:

  identifier = document-id   (50 chars)
               section       (50 chars)
               title         (50 chars)
               [ abstract ]  (500 chars)
               [ editor ]    (50 chars)
               [ language ]  (2 chars)

   formats = format-type   (50 chars)
             location      (MAXPATHLEN chars)

To solve the problem with the translations, I suggest to following:

   * only one language/identifier is allowed
   * to add a translation, you#ve to use an own identifier, but
     you can use the same document-id to refer to the original
     document

Example:

   Document: HOWTO PPP-HOWTO
   Section: Admin/Net