Re: Documents vs. Sections

On Mon, Apr 20, 1998 at 05:37:17PM -0500, robert havoc pennington wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> >
> > I think the best way to provide sections with doc-base is to include
> > them in some sort of a registration file:
> >
> > Section: /instadm/hardware/laptop
> > Title: Laptops
> > Abstract: Linux has native support for hardware usually found in laptops,
> > like PCMCIA and APM.
> >

> It'd be really nice if this all worked with the Gnome help browser, since
> Gnome is supposed to be the Debian desktop eventually. Maybe you could
> talk to the Red Hat guys doing the help browser (www.labs.redhat.com)
> and come up with a common scheme for this kind of indexing? Or just use
> html and then it'd work with any web browser?

I'm not at all sure about the technical details of doc-base (and they are
still argu^H^H^H^Hdiscussed atm), but this is interesting.

> Also, I didn't see a place for something like the Debian Tutorial in your
> doc hierarchy. It tries to present an overview of the whole thing, really.
> Maybe add a section for that?

Yes, it is missing completely general sections like Linux-FAQ, Tutorials,
Books yet. I have this on my TODO list, but I first want the hard thing to
work.

> Apologies if either of these things have been discussed, I'm a little
> behind on the list.

Lot is happening in private mail. You are not assumed to know that ;) I
appreciate every input, you're welcome!

Marcus