Re: doc-base 0.4 and other issues

On 16 Apr 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> > On 16 Apr 1998, Adam P. Harris wrote:
> > > (a.3) Should we reconsider the 'document-id' system (one docid per
> > > file, many formats)?  Wouldn't it make it easier for package
> > > maintainers to have a single file that could have multiple
> > > document-ids?  Would this be a bad idea?
> >
> > Huh? Sorry, but I don't get your point. The DOCID is used to identify a
> > document. It's like the `Package:' field of a .deb or `Source:' field of a
> > .dsc file. It _has_ to be unique, since that's what the field is for.
> >
> > Note, that this field will also eventually be used for inter-document
> > cross-references, as what's planned for debiandoc-sgml.
> >
> > Please give me more details about which problems you see with the current
> > use of the Document-ID field.
>
> Christian, I understand and do not question the notion that we need a
> unique documentid.  (Although this raises the issue that we may need
> to put in processes to resolve conflicts.)
>
> I was questioning the fact that we have one and only one documentid
> per document control file.  I was asking what are the good reasons (I
> know they're there) behind this so I can explain it as part of my new
> document registration file format standard.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood your initial question.

Well, the only reason for having only one DOCID per registry file is that
it makes things easier for doc-base: How would you handle a situation
where a package, v1, included 2 documents registered via a single registry
file, and the next version, v2, only includes 1 of these documents,
registered in the same file?  If this could be handled by doc-base some
way, you could have several DOCIDs per file--but I'm not sure it's worth
the efforts. (What's the problem for having one DOCID per file?)

Thanks,

Chris

--          _,,     Christian Schwarz
           / o \__   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,