Re: Re^2: directory structure - 2.

Hi,
>>"Marco" == Marco Budde <Marco.Budde@hqsys.antar.com> writes:

Marco> ? I#ve posted already such a list.

	And there were objections to it, which have not been resolved.

CS> maintaining the list! If the list has evolved and is ready, it
CS> should become part of the doc-base documentation.
Marco> ? No it should be part of the Policy or a free standard. This
Marco> structure will not only used by doc-base.

	That is really going aainst precedent. The add on modules to
 the kernel and even kernel packages themselves follow a policy that
 belongs to kernel-package. Emacs add-on packages foolow a policy laid
 out in the emacsen-common package. The SGML packages follow a entity
 management policy detailed in sgml-base.

CS> 1. Most people seem agree that documents should to be registered
CS> in several sections at once. This should be considered when
CS> setting up the structure.

Marco> Most people? Let#s stop this discussion. At first we should
Marco> talk about the structure and the file format. The use of the
Marco> system should be discussed in debian-devel.

	Why shouyld we stop this discussion? You are the only one
 objecting, and you have really come up with no technical reasons
 apart from "I do not like it", which, frankly, does not cut it.

	How can we come up with a structure before deciding on whether
 we should or should not allows multiple listings?

	Also, debian-policy is the correct forum for this discussion,
 not debian-devel. This is Documentation Policy. debian-devel shall be
 informed of the results.

CS> 2. For now, I think we should use the section titles in our list
CS> (like

Marco> I disagree. That#s confusing.

	What is?

CS> make it much easier for us to recognize the correct section for a

Marco> We will not discuss the section for a document. This should be
Marco> done by the maintainers of these documents.

	Oh, for gods sake, we are not talking about sections *of* a
 document here. We are talking about categorization and classification
 of documents.

	Why am I getting the feeling that you are objecting for the
 sake of objecting? I do not think that this is conducive to a
 cooperative design.

CS> document. If we've finally agreed on the section titles, we can
CS> look for the correct short terms later.

Marco> I prefer the other way.

	Preferences are irrelevant. Reasons, man, technical reasons.

CS> Ordering documents into categories like "howto", "faq",
CS> "magazines", "debian", etc. (categorized by source) is definitely
CS> *not* user friendly!=

Marco> I disagree 100%.

	Without reasons, that matters little. As a user, I care little
 about how documentation is arranged. I knwo I am looking for a list
 pf magazxines that came with the system, or for what we have for
 games, and how to configure sound ot my fax server.

	Why should I care whther this is a ``user'' activity or a
 ``admin'' activity?

CS> 7. I think it's useful to already include a few example documents
CS> in the structure to get a better feeling about what will go into
CS> which section.

Marco> I disagree.

	I think I like the example documents, for that helps make the
 dry language of a standard more easily accesible. I would be lost in
 the SGML handbook without the copious use of examples, and even
 documentation policy shall benefit from it.

CS> language. I think the only logical way to handle this situation,
CS> is to store documents of all languages in a single structure, and
CS> let the user choose the preferred language at document-level, like
CS> in this example:
CS>
CS> User's Manuals Office applications _StarOffice User's Manual_
CS> (English version, German version)

Marco> I disagree 100%.

	As I said, opinions are irrelevant. I like this single
 structure idea, at least until we have fleshed out the documentation
 in all supported languages. English seems to be the language of
 choice for a vast amjority of the documents, and thus other languages
 the document tree shall have a skeletal look. Also, until we have all
 documents all cross translated, a multilingual user shall have to
 search all possible languages until they hit the language tree that
 has the documentation. It is frustrating to look in German first
 since there are fewer documents there, and then go to english;
 looking at english first means I miss out on my preferred language.
 A single structure shall allow me to look simpley and select the
 requisite language.

	This works  even if I am looking at docs using a fvwm menu, or
 a simple non-locally-cross-indexed HTML tree.

	See? technical reasons. Not opinions.

	manoj
--
 New York is a jungle, they tell you.  You could go further, and say
 that New York is a jungle.  New York *is a jungle.* Beneath the