Re^4: dhelp directory structure

Am 14.04.98 schrieb Marcus.Brinkmann # ruhr-uni-bochum.de ...

Moin Marcus!

MB> For some packages, there is no best match. Where should I put svncviewer?

I don#t know this program.

MB> In X11, because it can connect to an X server, in net, because it works in

No, only programs like xfree or fvwm should go to this directory.

MB> I think we can all live with this. I have no problems reading books that

Maybe.

MB> use 5 levels of sections.

That#s another problem.

MB> Just let us make sure that the up, next and back buttons do work properly.

Please, no buttons. If you use buttons, the back button of the browser
itself will not work very well. But you can use something like <LINK> in
my latest doc-linux-de package. But this is supported only by lynx at the
moment (it#s part of HTML 3.2).

MB> ? Did you ever wrote an index for a book? It is the most important part of

Our system shouldn#t be an index but a content page! If you need something
like a book index you will use a search engine.

MB> a book that transfers information. I want to find the information I seek.

All right.

MB> I don't want to look for every possible section the program could be in. I

That#s it. So we need a good structure and you will find the document
without a problem. I don#t like the idea of a book index, sorry. A online
help system has nothing in common with a book, if you ask me. And I have
never seen a help system that is structured like that. Can you give me an
example, please?

MB> We have a document with this name. The indentation level makes it clear
MB> that CS thinks it is a document.

I#m not sure :).

MB> section and the variety of packages that it contains. The debian ftp
MB> server structure is no good document storing structure.

That#s right. I#ll think about another structure.

MB> > ? That#s part of the HOWTO directory.
MB> a not supported isdn card. The HOWTO section is flooded with documents and
MB> I only look in the HOWTO section if I already know that I need a HOWTO.

But most users know where to find the documentation and others would use
the search engine.

MB> Marco, I simply fail to understand why you object to order the documents
MB> in a senseful way.

I don#t object. Maybe a structure like devel/x11 etc. is a good idea. But
I don#t like to register a lot of documents in more than one section. If
you do so, you have to register for example a book like the "Linux
Anwenderhandbuch" in all sections. That is nonsense. I cannot see an
advantage.

MB> The ftp structure is simply not intended to be used as

Ok, one point for you.

MB> > CS>    User's manuals  [users]
MB> > Why do we need such a root directory? Where#s the advantage?

Ok, this is maybe not a bad idea.

MB> useful to you. I would be very confused as a user if I find documents
MB> about libc6 function calls if I only want to know why libc6 needs
MB> kernel-headers-2.0.32.

That#s right. I agree.

MB> ? What do you want to tell me? Sometimes I find your abbreviated stile
MB> hard to follow. We all have little time, b I tnk w c spll a l sm th o.

I want to tell you, that this document should registered in debian maybe
debian/devel but not in devel/. Because this documents are not interesting
for a normal developer.

MB> I think debians packaging system is more useful for developers, whereas

Only for Debian package developers.

MB> debian specific instructions to mainatin the system (info about init
MB> procedure, kernel etc) are useful in debian and probably even a seperate
MB> admin section.

I think we should seperate upstream and debian documentation. Therefor I
would suggest the debian section.

MB> Others may follow. We should have a first draft, that is useful for at

Ok, I#ll improve the latest version.

cu, Marco

--
Uni: Budde@tu-harburg.de           Fido: 2:240/5202.15