Re: another user manual chapter

"Oliver Elphick" <olly@lfix.co.uk> writes:

> robert havoc pennington wrote:
>   >
>   >What do we do first? Should we start writing up an outline?
>
> Havoc, I reckon that you should adapt my chapter on basic commands as
> necessary for a tutorial; it's not a style I'm comfortable writing.
> The style I have adopted is to skim the surface of the basic
> commands, with the user recommended to read the manual and info pages for
> more information.  Yours is much more conversational.  It would certainly
> be better for the style to be uniform in any one manual.

I agree.  I think it's a good idea to write the tutorial in a more
conversational style while make the reference guide more "formal".

> Ardo, do you intend to keep the reference user manual in the form it
> now has?  Perhaps you could put up an outline?  I thought of starting on
> another unclaimed chapter, but I'd like to know what the framework is going
> to be.

Good question.  Since the chapters of the reference guide can be stand
alone, the order is less critial. What we could do is group the
chapters into parts, such as programming, document preperation and text
processing, tools & shells, networking, documentation, etc., and then
write chapters for those parts as we see appropriate.  The order of
these parts should be natural as well as the order of the chapters
within those parts.  I'll come back on this, but I would say for now
just follow the current framework.  I don't think the order in the
part/chapter oriented setup will be much different from the current
one (at least not for the first few chapters which very likely will
become a part of the "tools & shells" part).

By the way, which chapter did you have in mind?

Thanks,

Ardo

--
Ardo van Rangelrooij