Re: Idiot's Guide to Debian Packaging

Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu> writes:

> > there are one or two other people working on similiar documents maybe we
> > could work to gether rather than unneccesarily duplicating effort?  It's
> Surely.  I don't care how it gets done,  I've just sensed that there's a
> definite need for such a project,  and that we need it soon.  Is your
> working version around anyplace?  I'd be willing to contribute some of
> whatever you haven't finished.

I like your idea very much. Please use the debian-doc mailing list for
further discussions (this mail is cross posted - please remove this CC
in future mails). The novice guide should fit in our upcoming Debian
system documentation. Therefor please use a SGML structured
document. It's somewhat like HTML but more powerful. From the SGML
source you can produce different output formats like HTML, TeX, lout
etc. It would be nice if we can print all our documents and give it to
all our users as it's done with the LDP in the Dr. Linux book (2000
pages for only 70 DM/40 $?). But for this purpose it must be very easy
to convert it to a printable version. HTML pages can't be print easily
because there's no simple way to put different pages together
again. At the moment I suggest using debiandoc-sgml. It's pretty easy
to learn if you have understand HTML.

Btw: I've written a very short description (2 pages) for using debmake
for personal in german.

Bye
  Christian

--