Re: Debian documentation

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 10:40:45PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 09:52:28AM -0700, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Besides, it's no harder to find than "HOWTO" and "RFC" are. Nobody in their
> > > sane mind does a 'ls' in the doc directory, on most of today's systems, it's
> > > just too huge :)
> >
> > Actually, if you are dummy Linux user like me, I use "mc" to browse
> > /usr/share/doc/ and capitalized subdirectories come as the first listings if
> > under default sorting order. :)
> >
> > I think many newbie will learn system by reading these directory like me :)
>
> You may have a point there... I can make "Debian" a symlink to "debian" or
> vice versa in the next release.

I prefer /usr/share/doc/Debian having real contents.  Let's vote or
discuss!

We also need a guideline how to put html and others in this tree.

/usr/share/doc/Debian/pakagename/packageneme-locale.txt (text or txt?)
/usr/share/doc/Debian/pakagename/packageneme-locale.pdf (Most cross platform)
/usr/share/doc/Debian/pakagename/packageneme-locale.ps  (Do we need this)
/usr/share/doc/Debian/pakagename/packageneme/index.weblocale.html
                                                        (If multi-page html)
/usr/share/doc/Debian/pakagename/packageneme.weblocale.html (If 1-page html)

Also for use by apache on Debian server create:

/usr/share/doc/Debian/html/packageneme/index.weblocale.html
                                                        (If multi-page html)
/usr/share/doc/Debian/html/packageneme.weblocale.html   (If 1-page html)

Pointing browser to /usr/share/doc/Debian/html/ shall reveal everything
on the server (which is not symlinks).

Here packagename is core part of packagename (apt-howto etc.)

I do not like "-" before locale but I remember someone said some
brain-dead program/OS can not handle double-extension properly.  So I
took safer path.  This makes install script somewhat more complicated.
Any comment?

locale can be en, fr, and pt_BR while weblocale can be en, fr, and
pt-br.

If no one comment for a week or so, I will start doing this for my next
version of debian-reference*.deb.

> > dpkg -L only list obvious files created by the package.  Some postinst
> > scripts create/move files in the system.  If these effects are
> > documented outside of postinst script, it will be nice.
>
> Ah, yes, true. You can file a minor or a wishlist bug against the packages
> that don't do this... README.Debian is quite a suitable place for this
> information.

That is going to be mass filing of wishlist BUGS.  Once we are done with
ours, I may propose to debian-dev ML.  Unless dpkg -L can use these,
maybe not as useful.

> > I would do something like:
> > /usr/share/doc-debian/Debian -> ../Debian
> > /usr/share/debian-reference/Debian -> ../Debian/debian-reference
>
> If you install the Reference into /usr/doc/Debian, you can skip the
> "debian-" prefix...

I like this short form.  I was afraid of loosing consistency.  Josip may use
FAQ instead of debian-faq.

We should start doing this for DDP document first.  As long as I get
buy-in from Josip, Denis, Javier, and Gustavo, we can do this for
woody+1 :)  Now I think we are close.  Then let us ask boot-floppies to
join (install-doc).  Any comment?

Is Tomohiro's intro-i18n packaged?
 Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA
 See "User's Guide":     http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/users-guide/
 See "Debian reference": http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/
 "Debian reference" Project at: http://qref.sf.net

 I welcome your constructive criticisms and corrections.