Re: finally end single-person maintainership

On Tue, May 21, 2024 at 12:59:52AM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> On Thu, 2024-04-11 at 22:52 +0000, Bill Allombert wrote:
> >
> > When a change leads to a RC bug a month or three after having be
> > part of a package, fixing the problem falls on the maintainer and not
> > on the change author. Even correct changes can trigger latent bugs
> > in software.
>
> Yet another reason why using Salsa and its CI *and having autopkg-
> tests* is so important - contributors can test their changes before
> even asking to merge them.

You can run autopkgtests locally, you do not need Salsa for that.

> And yes, its up to the 'expert' maintainer
> of the package to ensure there are proper tests in place. Because even
> that expert is a human only and we all make mistakes.

Indiscriminate use of Salsa CI is not free, there is a cost in hardware, in electricity
and in carbon emission, that we cannot completely ignore.

In any case, it is not realistic to expect tests to detect all kind of bugs, alas.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.