Re: Any volunteers for lintian co-maintenance?

On Sun, May 19, 2024 at 12:49:29PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > It also fails as an archive QA tool in my view since the FTP masters have
> > been unwilling to upgrade to any recent version of lintian.
>
> Perhaps a ftpmaster could explain this in detail. As far as I understand,
> it's also a DSA issue. All packages are obtained from stable.
Per e.g. the discussion on #debian-devel on 2024-04-01, this specific
package is older than even that. Per the same discussion, we don't have
(or at least couldn't find) an *official* reason for that, only
speculation.
But, sure, running lintian from stable on packages for unstable can also
cause problems up to autorejects.

> > As a consequence,
> > people now get auto-rejects when uploading because lintian on the FTP master
> > server does not produce the same output as current lintian in stable or
> > newer.
>
> I think its a bit unfair to blame lintian about the fact that its old
> versions do not do a proper job when it comes to checking newer packages.
Yes.

--
WBR, wRAR