Re: Any volunteers for lintian co-maintenance?

Hi Nilesh,

On 2024-05-10 21:04, Nilesh Patra wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2024 at 05:58:24PM +0300, Andrius Merkys wrote:
Do you mean bugs on bugs.d.o, or are there other issues?

As you may have seen in the other emails, there are performance issues. Other
than that, there are 2 open RC bugs right now (fixed in salsa but not uploaded
I don't make uploads for lintian). A pile of MRs are pending for reviews
at many points in time.

Thanks for the explanation.

I personally feel motivated to implement new features in lintian or go after
low hanging fruits, but I am somewhat driven away by the need to understand
lintian's internals. Is there a documentation on the data/control flow, or
class diagrams? This would help me a lot.

Not that I know of, I suppose Axel/Bastian may be able answer this.

I see. I believe the documentation would help attracting more volunteers. AFAIK, lintian's code is clearly written and nicely organised, and that is enough for fixing localised issues or introducing new features similar to already existing ones. However, before making larger changes one has to familiarise themself with the code, and that takes time, especially for people not well-versed in Perl.

Best wishes,
Andrius