Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

In data martedì 7 maggio 2024 15:40:49 CEST, rhys@neoquasar.org ha scritto:
> The /tmp/ as tmpfs discussion is funny to me because while we've been
> kicking around the idea of whether or not to clean /tmp/, having /tmp/ as a
> tmpfs makes that whole argument moot. It all goes away at boot time!
> Problem solved! :D

Systemd administrators might deal with thousands of servers. They want sane
defaults, not to carefully consider every machine and decide case by case.

This is something that "smanettoni" (no good english translation) do, and it's
fine for them to change the defaults and play around with various settings.

But people who use the system rather than play with the system need good
defaults.

Perhaps you don't remember or weren't there for the discussion about /tmp on
tmpfs that happened a number of years ago… But I really don't think anything
has changed since then.

--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

https://ltworf.codeberg.page/