Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

> I'm a bit surprised how many people seem to really rely on data in /tmp
> to survive for weeks or even months. I wonder if they backup /tmp?

If the expectation is that it sits there until the system is rebooted, and the
system isn't rebooted for months, the logical conclusion is that the data will
remain there for months, unless manually removed.

Changing this will inevitably create frustration.

On my system /var/tmp is only used for some systemd stuff, while /tmp is filled
with all sort of work in progress things, that I don't want to disappear
before the progress reaches 100%.

Best

--
Salvo Tomaselli

"Io non mi sento obbligato a credere che lo stesso Dio che ci ha dotato di
senso, ragione ed intelletto intendesse che noi ne facessimo a meno."
                -- Galileo Galilei

https://ltworf.codeberg.page/