Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

* Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> [240506 07:15]:
> Am 06.05.24 um 12:35 schrieb Simon Richter:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 5/6/24 17:40, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >
> > > If we go with a/, then I think d-i should be updated to no longer
> > > create /tmp as a separate partition.
> >
> > I think if the admin explicitly configures tmpfs as a separate file
> > system, then that should be honored -- if there is memory pressure,
> > tmpfs+swap is pretty much the worst file system there is.
> >

> If you explicitly configure /tmp via /etc/fstab it will override the default
> tmp.mount that is shipped by systemd.
>
> My point is a different one: If we enable /tmp-on-tmpfs by default, then
> offering a partition layout in d-i that places /tmp as a physical partition
> is confusing/inconsistent imho.

I don't think so at all, especially if the description of this option
explains that if you don't choose this option /tmp will be a tmpfs.  But
either way, this is an option that is different from the default, and it
doesn't seem either confusing or inconsistent to me.

...Marvin