Re: Make /tmp/ a tmpfs and cleanup /var/tmp/ on a timer by default [was: Re: systemd: tmpfiles.d not cleaning /var/tmp by default]

On Mon, 6 May 2024 at 12:15, Michael Biebl <biebl@debian.org> wrote:

> Am 06.05.24 um 12:35 schrieb Simon Richter:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 5/6/24 17:40, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >
> >> If we go with a/, then I think d-i should be updated to no longer
> >> create /tmp as a separate partition.
> >
> > I think if the admin explicitly configures tmpfs as a separate file
> > system, then that should be honored -- if there is memory pressure,
> > tmpfs+swap is pretty much the worst file system there is.
> >

> If you explicitly configure /tmp via /etc/fstab it will override the
> default tmp.mount that is shipped by systemd.
>
> My point is a different one: If we enable /tmp-on-tmpfs by default, then
> offering a partition layout in d-i that places /tmp as a physical
> partition is confusing/inconsistent imho.

Is that the default layout, or a selectable option?

If the latter, to me it makes sense to keep it, maybe with updated
wording. Making things customizable is not really an issue, as long as
it's clear what happens where.