Re: Silent hijacking and stripping records from changelog

Quoting Jonathan Dowland (2024-04-18 09:35:41)
> On Wed Apr 17, 2024 at 7:26 PM BST, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > To be fair, I _was_ upset (not with Jonathan, but) earlier in this
> > thread, which makes it harder to err on the side of a mistake when I
> > write something that can be read as being sarcastic.
>
> I would be upset too if my packages were repeatedly hijacked.
>
> > Sorry, Jonathan, for being difficult to read here.
>
> No problem: Sorry for lapsing in assuming good faith on my part.
>
> WRT Haskell and the monorepo, I've just done a bit of digging to try and
> remind myself why it was necessary, and I've not found a satisfactory
> answer.  Perhaps there isn't one! [1] says it's "easier to update them
> in bulk" which, in isolation, I personally don't think is sufficient for
> the trade-off.

I agree with your view.

The need for efficiency is the reason that I mentined in my rant
previously that the Perl team has made use of myrepos to kinda get a bit
of both: Track each package in independent VCS, while easing sweeping
operations across a pile of similarly structured packages.

> I've just noticed that you upload Pandoc, and it (thankfully) is in an
> individual repo. You don't build a library package, perhaps that's
> relevant. I haven't traced the history that results in there being a
> separate haskell-pandoc source package yet.
>
> [1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-haskell/2024/02/msg00001.html
> [2] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/haskell-hakyll

Until recently, Debian source package src:pandoc provided binary
packages pandoc (containing an executable binary) and ghc-pandoc-dev
(containing a Haskell library).  I never liked the Haskell team
giant-git-repo thingy, and that source package has been mainained in an
independent git repo, with collaboration and coordination with the
Haskell team on doing that.  The reason for the split was changes to
upstream tooling (instead of building lib and binary in concert, they
were split into separate git repos and building binary would need
library already built), combined with infexible tooling in Debian
(Haskell libraries still rely on CDBS which in itself can handle
chainloaded builds but it is tricky to do right and even more tricky to
do so with the Haskell-specific CDBS addons). I tried but gave up, and
handed over maintenance of the Pandoc library part to the Haskell team.

I also maintain a few other Haskell libraries and binaries, also outside
of the Haskell team giant-git-repo thingy. The Haskell team tolerate
that.

I am unaware if I am alone in maintaining Haskell packages outside of
the team giant-git-repo thingy.

 - Jonas

 * Sponsorship: https://ko-fi.com/drjones