Re: Question about haskell packaging

Hi ChangZhuo,

On Sat, Feb 03, 2024 at 10:06PM, ChangZhuo Chen (陳昌倬) wrote:
> I am currently working on mailctl [0] package, which is a Haskell CLI
> tool for oauth2 for IAMP/SMTP client. I want to maintain it under
> Haskell team. However, the GettingStarted [1] seem to be outdated (the
> haskell-platform was in unstable in document, and in oldstable now).
>
> So I wonder, if there is any document, or package that can be referred
> as guide for mailctl packaging?

You are right, the Wiki is a bit outdated. That said, our processes
haven't changed over the years, so most of the instructions there should
work.

Here are also a couple of pointers that will help:

1. We follow Stackage LTS releases, since this makes it easier to ensure
that the set of packages we have in Debian work with each other.

2. The current set of packages in unstable/testing is based on Stackage
LTS 21.16. You can see that in our package plan [1].

3. All library packages live in the DHG_packages repo [2]. This makes it
easier to update them in bulk when we need to upgrade to a newer
Stackage LTS release.

4. Haskell packages that don't ship a library, like mailctl, can live in
other repos outside of the DHG_packages repo. In fact, if you plan on
maintaining just mailctl and not any other Haskell library, then I would
suggest you create a new repo for mailctl. We can create one under the
haskell-team group in Salsa.

Hope the above helps a bit, let me know if you have any more questions.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/haskell-team/package-plan/-/blob/master/lts.config?ref_type=heads
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/haskell-team/DHG_packages

Best,

--