Re: Validating tarballs against git repositories

Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> writes:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat 30 Mar 2024 at 12:19pm +01, Simon Josefsson wrote:
>
>> Relying on signed git tags is not reliable because git is primarily
>> SHA1-based which in 2019 cost $45K to do a collission attack for.
>
> We did some analysis on the SHA1 vulnerabilities and determined that
> they did not meaningfully affect dgit & tag2upload's design.

Can you share that analysis?  As far as I understand, it is possible for
a malicious actor to create a git repository with the same commit id as
HEAD, with different historic commits and tree content.  I thought a
signed tag is merely a signed reference to a particular commit id.  If
that commit id is a SHA1 reference, that opens up for ambiguity given
recent (well, 2019) results on SHA1.  Of course, I may be wrong in any
of the chain, so would appreciate explanation of how this doesn't work.

/Simon