Re: Validating tarballs against git repositories

Antonio Russo <aerusso@aerusso.net> writes:

> 1. Move towards allowing, and then favoring, git-tags over source tarballs

Some people have suggested this before -- and I have considered adopting
that approach myself, but one thing that is often overlooked is that
building from git usually increase the Build-Depends quite a lot
compared to building from tarball, and that will more likely trigger
cyclic dependencies.  People that do bootstrapping for new platforms or
cross-platform dislike such added dependency.

One response to that may be "sorry, our concerns for supply chain
security trumps your desire for easier building" but so far I believe
the approach has been to compromise a little on supply chain side (i.e.,
building from tarballs) and compromise a little on the
bootstrap/crossbuild smoothness (e.g., adding nodoc or nocheck targets).

Moving that needle isn't all that trivial, although I think I'm moving
myself to a preference that we really need to build everything from
source code and preferrably not even including non-source code files
because they may dormant and activated later on a'la the xz attack.

An old irk of mine is that people seems to believe that running
'autoreconf -fi' is intended or supposed to combat problems related to
this: autoreconf was never designed for that purpose, nor does it
achieve it realiably.  Many distributions have adopted a preference to
do run 'autoreconf' to "re-bootstrap" a project from source code.  This
misses a lot of generated files, and sometimes generate incorrect (and
possibly harmful) newly generated files.  For example:
https://gitlab.com/libidn/libidn2/-/issues/108

/Simon