Re: Another take on package relationship substvars

Le Thu, Feb 22, 2024 at 08:52:36PM +0100, IOhannes m zmölnig a écrit :
> Am 22. Februar 2024 20:25:32 MEZ schrieb Boyuan Yang <byang@debian.org>:
> >在 2024-02-22星期四的 19:32 +0100,Niels Thykier写道:
> >> I think our package helper tooling should just automatically aggregate
> >> all provided substvars of the format ${*:Depends} and append it the
> >> Depends field. Rinse and repeat for other relationship fields.
> >>
> >> The list of fields where this is applied would be curated, so it only
> >> applies to known relationship fields where we feel it makes sense. My
> >> starting list would be:
> >>
> >>   * Any dependency field, that is: Pre-Depends, Depends, Recommends, and
> >>     Suggests
> >>
> >>   * The Provides field.
> >>
> >> I am omitting Breaks, Conflicts, and Replaces because I am not aware of
> >> any users of these at the moment. I am open to adding them, if there is
> >> a strong use-case.
> >
> >Can we also consider ${*:Built-Using} as typically seen in ${sphinxdoc:Built-Using}?
>
> While I like the idea in general, I wonder how I could override these automatic additions.
> I think there are some packages that even demote `${shlibs:Depends}` to Recommends.

This is sometime used to avoid circular dependencies between libxxx and
libxxx-bin packages, when a library can exec a binary in /usr/lib linked with itself.
Since libxxx-bin binaries are always exec-ed by libxxx, there is no
need for them to depend on libxxx, while libxxx needs to depend on
libxxx-bin.

Demoting the shlibs:Depends prevent the otherwise circular dependency.

Cheers,
--
Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.