Re: Another take on package relationship substvars

Gioele Barabucci:
On 24/02/24 11:26, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
On Thu, 2024-02-22 at 20:52 +0100, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
I think there are some packages that even demote `${shlibs:Depends}`
to Recommends.

Absolutely. collectd for example - otherwise you would install *all*
plugin dependencies with collectd, which would be a big waste of space.

The other option would be to make one packe per plugin as redhat does,
but do we really want 20 packages with a single file?

Yes, please. So that installing package collectd-foo ensures that all the required dependencies are installed, instead of having to hunt them down (a task better left to the package maintainers rather than the end users).

PS: I volunteer to do the splitting.

Regards,

For the people following from home, collectd is a non-issue for this proposal since it uses dpkg-shlibdeps to split the substvars into the buckets it wants and therefore everything would "just work"(tm).

Whether collectd should be split might be a relevant conversation but please take it in a separate thread or in the BTS. Thank you! :)

Best regards,
Niels