Re: X-Windows on PPC in Debian SID

On Sun, Jan 21, 2024 at 10:41:05AM -0700, Stan Johnson wrote:
> I have a PowerMac G4 MDD (two 1.25 GHz CPUs, 2 GiB memory) that has been
> running Debian SID for years. It was last updated on 15 Oct 2023, with
> no problems. Yesterday, the update failed. Specifically, "apt-get
> update" worked, "apt-get upgrade" worked, and "apt-get dist-upgrade"
> worked but deleted ~500 MB of X Windows packages, including Xorg, wdm,
> etc. So the system currently is text-only in Debian SID.

This sort of thing sometimes happens in unstable due to various
dependency issues that are typically filtered out of testing; you're
expected to keep a reasonably close eye on what upgrades are going to do
and say no if the result is unsuitable.

The proximate cause may or may not be sysvinit/systemd.  The best thing
would be if you still have a record of the terminal log, but it's
possible you don't.

> This system is using sysvinit instead of systemd, and perhaps that's the
> problem? I noticed when I tried to reinstall wdm, apt wanted to remove
> sysvinit and presumably use systemd as the init program.

What happens if you try "apt install wdm sysvinit" to nudge it into not
doing that?

--
Colin Watson (he/him)                              [cjwatson@debian.org]