Re: Policy: versioning between releases

On 2024-01-21 Matthias Urlichs <matthias@urlichs.de> wrote:
> question: policy 3.5 states, rather unequivocally,

>    Every package must specify the dependency information about other
>    packages that are required for the first to work correctly.

> Now … does that apply to crossing release boundaries? Specifically, if
> foo/testing requires bar >=1.1 to work but just states "Depends: bar >=1",
> and bar/stable is 1.0.42 … is that a bug? If so which severity?

> If not, shouldn't that be mentioned somewhere in Policy? Offhand I didn't
> find anything that even mentions Debian suites / releases, but admittedly I
> only skimmed the table of content and didn't re-read the whole thing.

Hello,

I also do not think policy has anything to say about our release system.
However according to our release notes we only support upgrading from
release x to x+1, skipping releases is not allowed.

This implies that one may/should change "Depends: bar (>= 1.12)" to
"Depends: bar" (in an upload to sid) once we have made a stable release
that includes at least bar 1.12.

IIRC https://janitor.debian.net/scrub-obsolete/ implements this
algoritm.

cu Andreas