Re: proposal: dhcpcd-base as standard DHCP client starting with Trixie

On Mon, 19 Jun 2023 at 18:21, Philipp Kern <pkern@debian.org> wrote:

> On 2023-06-19 14:37, Luca Boccassi wrote:
> > The advantage of doing that is that it's what Ubuntu does IIRC, so
> > there will be extra pooling&sharing of resources to maintain those
> > setups, and the road should already be paved for it.
>
> I am not sure if I have seen this play out in practice[1].
> Ubuntu^WCanonical has been doing its own development in this space as
> well with netplan. Ubuntu will continue to do its own fixes to glue
> things together.
>
> Kind regards
> Philipp Kern
>
> [1] With notable exceptions like doko maintaining the toolchain - and
> I'm sure I'm not crediting everyone. But that's also explicit package
> maintainership.

I've been working for a long time with many Canonical engineers,
happily and fruitfully, to the benefit of both Debian and Ubuntu, so
my experience is quite different. This includes the developers working
on src:systemd.

Kind regards,
Luca Boccassi