Re: Yearless copyrights: what do people think?

Paul Wise <pabs@debian.org> writes:
> On Wed, 2023-02-22 at 09:47 -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> People doing this should be aware that you're probably waiving certain
>> damage provisions in US copyright law should you ever sue someone in
>> the US for violating the license on the Debian packaging, at least so
>> far as I understand US copyright law.  (I am not a lawyer and this is
>> not legal advice for your specific situation.)

> Could you give some more details about this? I hadn't heard of it yet.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/401:

    (d) Evidentiary Weight of Notice.—

    If a notice of copyright in the form and position specified by this
    section appears on the published copy or copies to which a defendant
    in a copyright infringement suit had access, then no weight shall be
    given to such a defendant’s interposition of a defense based on
    innocent infringement in mitigation of actual or statutory damages,
    except as provided in the last sentence of section 504(c)(2).

Also see https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ03.pdf, specifically
"Advantages to Using a Copyright Notice" starting on page 3.