Re: Consensus on closing old bugs

On Mon, Feb 13, 2023 at 10:33:51AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 11, 2023 at 10:45:16PM +0200, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 06, 2023 at 10:07:59AM -0700, Sam Hartman wrote:
> > > Most of us do not prefer to close bugs simply because they are old.
> > It creates angry users and no real benefits.
>
> this is undoubtingly true for some bugs and users.
>
> for other bugs (and users) there will be no reply ever and unactionable bugs
> clutter the view and harm bug fixing.
>
> so I don't think there is a general rule and I also don't think asking
> "does this bug still apply?" is harmful,

An egoistic "bugs clutter the view" developer view that ignores that
there are humans at the other end of the bugs is harmful.

I remember being pretty pissed when in a different open source project
some abuser asked me every 6-12 months whether I can still reproduce
the problem with the latest upstream version, each time I spent several
hours for confirming it, but this abuser never bothered to follow up on
that after I did the work that was requested from me.

Regarding your "harm bug fixing": I do not have the impression that
there is much intersection between the people who are eager to close
as many bugs as possible without even looking at them, and the people
who are actually making Debian better by fixing bugs.

If a developer has a problem with bugs cluttering the view, it is of
course fine to use a different (UDD) view if this is more productive.
But this does not require touching bugs, which is an interactions with
our users and should be handled accordingly.

> cheers,
> 	Holger

cu
Adrian