Re: Deprecation of /etc/alternatives? (Re: Reaction to potential PGP schism)

On 23/12/2023 14:34, Gioele Barabucci wrote:
On 22/12/23 00:40, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
If you're asking about using /etc/alternatives or something like that to
provide some sort of generic swapping capability, or a dpkg Provides:,
such that /usr/bin/gpg on some systems would point toward the
"chameleon", i would want to see some significant archive-wide testing
done before we even consider inflicting that on our normal users.

While we are on the topic of alternatives, I hope to see the maintscript-based /etc/alternatives paradigm deprecated in favor of the package-based X-is-X paradigm introduced by `python-is-python3`.

They have different use-cases.  alternatives allows for co-installability (and importantly - co-"buildability" with dependencies). the X-is-X guarantees essentially the opposite.

This becomes key if we have two different approaches desired or needed simultaneously: eg the adios parallel I/O library builds for both openmpi and mpich variants of MPI; different variants preferred for different architectures.

Regards

Alastair McKinstry

--
Alastair McKinstry,
GPG: 82383CE9165B347C787081A2CBE6BB4E5D9AD3A5