Re: Deprecation of /etc/alternatives? (Re: Reaction to potential PGP schism)

On Sat, 23 Dec 2023 at 18:43, Gioele Barabucci <gioele@svario.it> wrote:

> On 22/12/23 00:40, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> > If you're asking about using /etc/alternatives or something like that to
> > provide some sort of generic swapping capability, or a dpkg Provides:,
> > such that /usr/bin/gpg on some systems would point toward the
> > "chameleon", i would want to see some significant archive-wide testing
> > done before we even consider inflicting that on our normal users.
>
> While we are on the topic of alternatives, I hope to see the
> maintscript-based /etc/alternatives paradigm deprecated in favor of the
> package-based X-is-X paradigm introduced by `python-is-python3`.
>
> In this scenario gnupg will ship gpg as /usr/bin/gpg-gnupg, while
> sequoia-chameleon-gnupg will ship its gpg as /usr/bin/gpg-sq. Then the
> user can decide to install gpg-is-gnupg or gpg-is-sequoia (with the
> distro-wide preference expressed setting the appropriate Recommends in
> gnupg or sequoia-chameleon-gnupg).
>
> Regards,

Yes, that would be very nice, all those moving parts make the
installation/upgrade processes so unnecessarily difficult and error
prone. It's a maintenance nightmare that I'd be very happy to stop
having to deal with anymore.