Re: ITP: golang-github-esiqveland-notify -- notify is a go dbus implementation for delivering desktop notifications over dbus

Stephen, thank you, this was a very useful answer!

Now working on rinsing dependency list, also, some dependencies are
development time as we are using `mage` go based make replacement.

Also, please, see some comments/questions below.

On Sat, Oct 28, 2023 at 9:06 PM Stephen Kitt <skitt@debian.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 09:01:10 +0300, Ramūnas Keliuotis
> <ramunas.keliuotis@nordsec.com> wrote:
> > Was not sure if I'm doing this the right way. Forgive me for creating
> > troubles.
>
> dh-make-golang is the appropriate tool. Don’t worry about API instability,
> it’s well understood in the Go world that v0 releases don’t provide API
> guarantees, and
> https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?email=team%2Bpkg-go%40tracker.debian.org
> shows that there are plenty of v0 Go packages in Debian (even in stable).
>
> Do bear in mind that unstable APIs can create a burden for the maintainer,
> since updates may require bumps to other packages.

Good argument. Thank you.

> > I was following the `dh-make-golang` example. I am not the owner of
> > this package, but it is a dependency for my primary golang program
> > NordVPN.
> > Was strange to me that it is an ITP request - it is for the owner or
> > maintainer. Probably this should be an RFP.
>
> If you intend to maintain the package in Debian, then an ITP is appropriate.
> If you’re asking for someone else to maintain the package in Debian, then an
> RFP is appropriate.

Could you give more details on what would mean `maintain the package`?
If I would prepare it for upload, then ask to upload it, polish some
bits if needed, but not any fixing in code as this is a 3rd party
package, not my own.
I guess it would be quicker if I did it by myself. Otherwise I would
need to wait undetermined time for someone to do it as it is not an
interesting package to anyone else.
Will I be obliged to prepare new version upgrades or any other effort
will be needed? Just trying to evaluate the effort needed if I would
take this role.

> > `dh-make-golang` program example/tutorial is probably oriented for go
> > package owners or maintainers.
> > Here is that tutorial:
> > https://people.debian.org/~stapelberg/2015/07/27/dh-make-golang.html
> > I found reference to that tutorial in `go-team` packaging page:
> > https://go-team.pages.debian.net/packaging.html
> >
> > Please, advise me how to proceed with packaging third party golang
> > packages which are my golang program's dependencies and are not yet
> > available in Debian SID.
> >
> > Some examples of my dependencies which are not in SID yet:
> > github.com/esiqveland/notify v0.11.2
> > github.com/godbus/dbus/v5 v5.1.0
>
> This one is already packaged: https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/golang-dbus

Right, found it. But only Debian package naming is different from the
established naming system.

> > github.com/Microsoft/go-winio v0.6.0 // indirect
>
> As others have mentioned on your ITP for that, it might not be necessary in
> Debian — you need to determine which dependencies are really needed (don’t
> look at go.mod or go mod graph, build the binary you’re interested in and run
> "go version -m" on it).

Thank you! Indeed, have to clean dependencies first.

--
The content of this email, including all attachments, is confidential. If
you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please notify us