apt-listchanges testers: new version (4.2) is available, please note these changes

Version 4.2 of apt-listchanges is now available in experimental. Please test.

Three important notes:

1) There was a bug in 4.1 that caused corruption in the database of previously seen changelog entries (sorry!). The bug has been fixed, but the corruption was too complex to be recoverable, so 4.2 erases the database and starts from scratch. It will work just fine, but if you want to speed up future updates you can run "systemctl start apt-listchanges.timer" after upgrading to 4.2 to force it to rebuild the database from installed packages in the background. Make sure to keep your computer running for a couple hours, though if you do need to reboot you can just start it again afterward since it's idempotent.

2) I want to give a shout-out to Alexandre Detiste for his help starting to add typing hints to the apt-listchanges code-base, which is how the aforementioned bug was found.

3) To facilitate easier future debugging of issues like the one that was introduce in 4.1, 4.2 introduces a new snapshot feature which is only live in experimental builds. Each time apt-listchanges runs it captures a snapshot of a few data files (e.g., its database at the beginning and end of the run, /var/lib/dpkg/status, the news and changelog entries that were displayed to the user, the list of debs that were parsed for changelog entries). Up to the last 7 snapshots are saved. If you end up running into an issue I may ask you to send me the relevant snapshots to help me troubleshoot. If you prefer you can disable the snapshots by setting capture_snapshots to false in /etc/apt/listchanges.conf. However, if you leave it set to "auto", which is the value it will get by default, then it will automatically be removed from the config file and the old snapshots purged when you upgrade to a non-experimental version of apt-listchanges.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns or run into any issues.

Thanks!

jik