Re: Please test apt-listchanges 4.0 in experimental

On 10/11/23 03:37, Alexandre Detiste wrote:
Le dim. 8 oct. 2023 à 17:27, Jonathan Kamens <jik@kamens.us> a écrit :
I'd appreciate some testing from folks here before it gets promoted to unstable.
I got important NEWS from libx11 from .... 2006 (?)
so far so good for the rest.
Can you confirm that this occurred with 4.0 rather than 4.1? There's a bug-fix for at least one case of this in 4.1, but if you encountered this with 4.1 then perhaps there is another bug with the same symptoms that hasn't been fixed yet.
the database needs to be populated with data for existing packages during upgrades
Having a "solid" .timer forever for a single-time task seems a bit too much.
Could this be done a different way with "systemd-run"
or a .timer generated in /run/systemd/system ?
I believe both of these don't persist past a reboot. This needs to persist after reboot since rebooting immediately after an upgrade is common.
* Code cleanup and improvement, including `flake8' and `pylint'
  compatibility, (some) unit tests, and adherence to newer standards and
  best practices.
Can annotations/mypy testing be considered now "best practices" for
Debian native packages ?

Best practice? Sure. Requirement? Not so much.

Regarding apt-listchanges in particular, I have already spent countless hours getting ready for this new release, including the addition of a substantial unit-test suite where there were no tests before. I do not have the bandwidth to add type hints as well, and I do not think this should be a blocker to releasing the new version to the public.

I am happy to consider a MR if someone else wants to add typing to the code-base.

  jik