Re: [RFC] locking down rsyslog.service

Am 11.10.23 um 08:03 schrieb Simon Richter:
Hi,

On 10/11/23 03:22, Michael Biebl wrote:

I intend to lock down rsyslog.service in Debian in one of the next
uploads using the following systemd directives

CapabilityBoundingSet=CAP_BLOCK_SUSPEND CAP_CHOWN CAP_LEASE
CAP_NET_ADMIN CAP_NET_BIND_SERVICE CAP_SYS_ADMIN CAP_SYS_RESOURCE
CAP_SYSLOG

Does it actually need CAP_NET_ADMIN and CAP_SYS_ADMIN?

Everything else looks good to me.

The list is based on
https://github.com/rsyslog/rsyslog/pull/4999#issuecomment-1313362425

- CAP_NET_ADMIN: use of setsockopt()
- CAP_SYS_ADMIN: exceed /proc/sys/fs/file-max, the system-wide limit on the number of open files, in system calls that open files (e.g. accept execve), use of setns(),...

I trimmed stuff like CAP_SETGID and CAP_SETUID, which the Debian package doesn't need.

Regards,
Michael