Re: RFC: Reboot behavior for kexec-tools package

On 9/22/23 2:01 PM, Luca Boccassi wrote:
On Fri, 22 Sept 2023 at 20:41, Khalid Aziz <khalid@debian.org> wrote:

Any comments/feedback? I intend to proceed with implementing new
behavior next week after Wednesday unless there are objections or other
ideas.

Hi,

In the next version of systemd, due in trixie in a couple of months,
we are going to move the kexec-if-loaded behaviour from systemctl to
logind itself. Also, we are going to integrate it with the new
soft-reboot feature, so that it also automatically soft-reboots if a
new rootfs has been loaded. So I would recommend to do no automation
at all in kexec-tools, and let systemd handle it, so that it can be
integrated with other reboot types and so on. Thanks.

Hi Luca,

I am planning to include a new script in kexec-tools package which will be installed as /sbin/kexec-load-kernel. This script uses /etc/default/kexec to determine which kexec kernel to load and loads it ready for kexec reboot. My plan was to also include a kexec-reboot script which simply does "/sbin/kexec-load-kernel; /usr/bin/systemctl kexec". Neither of those automates kexec reboots but I can leave the kexec-reboot script out if that works better with upcoming systemd changes. kexec-load-kernel just makes the task of loading a kexec image more user-friendly. Opinion?

Thanks,
Khalid