Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

On sábado, 5 de agosto de 2023 12:06:27 -03 Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Debian Policy section 4.9 says:
>   clean (required)
>      This must undo any effects that the build and binary targets may
>      have had, except that it should leave alone any output files
>      created in the parent directory by a run of a binary target.

Now this is something I never understood why it would be needed and it seems
that it might be necessary on other types of flows from the one I use.

Normally my repos only have the stuff in debian/ committed in them. If a
package fails in a way I need to dig deeper I create a chroot, install the
build dependnecies, untar the source code and work. If I need to clean, git
clean -xdff && untar source code again.

I could be easily missing something beneficial for my workflow there but, to be
honest, I never really required debian/clean to work.

And yes, if someone wants to build my packages then they need to understand
how to use git and untar the source code. If they don't, I point them to the
docs (we do have them).

Also I never seen building a package twice in a row on the archive
happening... so no, at least in my use case, I do not see the value of debian/
clean.

But again, I might be missing something here.