Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

Did you see http://qa-logs.debian.net/2023/08/twice/ ?

> I would expect some debhelper machinery being responsible for most of
> these, e.g. perhaps some dh-whatever helper might be creating this
> issue for all 1k packages in some language ecosystem.

Maybe, but I did not detect such a common root cause by randomly looking
at log files. Same when going through dd-lists: of course teams that
maintain many packages have many packages failing, but I did not
identify a team with a very large proportion of failing packages.

> > Should we give up on requiring a 'clean' target that works? After all,
> > when 17% of packages are failing, it means that many maintainers don't
> > depend on it in their workflow.
>
> You are mixing two related but not identical topics.
>
> Your subject talks about "failing to build twice in a row",
> but the contents mostly talks about dpkg-source.
>
> Based on my workflows I can say that building twice in a row, defined as
>   dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign && dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign
> works for > 99% of all packages in the archive.

That's true. However, if the 'clean' target doesn't work correctly,
there are chances that the second build might not happen in the same
conditions as the first one (for example because it will re-use
left-overs from the first build).

Lucas