Re: Potential MBF: packages failing to build twice in a row

On Sat, Aug 05, 2023 at 05:06:27PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Packages tested: 29883 (I filtered out those that take a very long time to build)
> .. building OK all times: 24835 (83%)
> .. failing somehow: 5048 (17%)
> I wonder what we should do, because 5000+ failing packages is a lot...

I doubt these are > 5k packages that need individual fixing.

What packages are failing, and why?

I would expect some debhelper machinery being responsible for most of
these, e.g. perhaps some dh-whatever helper might be creating this
issue for all 1k packages in some language ecosystem.

> Should we give up on requiring a 'clean' target that works? After all,
> when 17% of packages are failing, it means that many maintainers don't
> depend on it in their workflow.

You are mixing two related but not identical topics.

Your subject talks about "failing to build twice in a row",
but the contents mostly talks about dpkg-source.

Based on my workflows I can say that building twice in a row, defined as
  dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign && dpkg-buildpackage -b --no-sign
works for > 99% of all packages in the archive.

> Lucas

cu
Adrian