Re: versioned dependencies between -dev packages

Hi,

Le sam. 15 juil. 2023, 17:36, Nicolas Boulenguez <nicolas@debian.org> a écrit :
Julien Puydt <julien.puydt@gmail.com>
> - Indeed this is quite fragile; I have two scripts for Coq packages [1]:
> one to tell me about the deps (I give it which package I have to upgrade
> and it gives the list of affected packages by pass) and the other to
> generate the migration script (I give it the list of new packages and their
> new version and it generates what I have to tell FTP masters), but it's
> still pretty painful.
> Perhaps if there are several such instances of such package
> dependency networks we should try to find a common and efficient
> solution Debian-wide ?

Ada updates require the NEW queue and or manual Break/Replaces.
Ocaml updates require passes and migration scripts.
Rust updates encounter inconsistent states.
Let us steal as many ideas as possible from each other (but not
necessarily on -devel).

https://wiki.debian.org/LanguageVersionedDevPackages

Well -devel is also where we can expect people to make valuable observations and provide useful ideas.

For the Coq packages:
- good: packages become uninstallable but are not broken on users' systems;
- bad: needs too much human planning (prepare ben script, open transition bug...);
- bad: part of the deps aren't computed but handwritten (see dh-coq's tools/coq_packages.py);
- etc

J.Puydt