Re: Policy consensus on transition when removing initscripts.

Hi,

On 6/29/23 01:56, Sam Hartman wrote:

     Russ> This feels like exactly the kind of problem that normally
     Russ> Debian goes to some lengths to avoid creating, but it sounds
     Russ> like several commenters here don't think the effort is worth
     Russ> it?

Normally, Debian spends a fair bit of effort to avoid these kind of
breakages.
But I think init systems other than systemd are in kind of a special case.

I agree, but it doesn't make a difference anyway.

The init scripts are conffiles. Dpkg should not remove them on upgrade, so no such window exists, unless maintainers explicitly remove these files, which would be "deleting user data" and therefore wrong, except in very specific cases.

Longer term, we might either want to also develop a strategy to remove these files, or decide to not bother because the impact is minimal, especially without the compatibility layer and with immutable images.

It also seems a bit strange to require more from the maintainer when
they are dropping an init script than we would if a maintainer started
depending on a feature like socket activation such that their packkage
simply would not work without systemd.

This would be a case where the init script and the systemd unit deviate in functionality. I don't see a problem with that, and my expectation is generally that the people running sysvinit and the people running systemd have different expectations here anyway.

Very few services depend on systemd and are completely unable to manage their own listener sockets, and those that do never had an init script in the first place and are not in use on any machine not running systemd, so there is no regression.

In general, the sysvinit crowd prefers "traditional" Unix daemons, many of which also exist on BSD, so these are unlikely to lose the ability to work outside the systemd environment.

   Simon