Re: Yearless copyrights: what do people think?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2023 15:40:49 +0100, Jonas Smedegaard <jonas@jones.dk>
wrote:
>Quoting Daniel Baumann (2023-02-22 14:30:11)
>> while having copyright information centrally available per package in
>> d/copyright is definitly a usefull service, is providing the *years*
>> really a service worth providing?
>>
>> personally I don't think so: for packages with non-trivial d/copyright,
>> it's a significant effort to keep the years in sync with the upstream
>> sources.
>
>Ensuring that debian/copyright stays correct take some effort, but that
>is required to re-examine anyway for each new upstream release.
>
>I dare question that examining copyright *years* in particular is
>noticably larger effort than the general required examination.

If copyright inspection is like three quarters of the effort necessary
to get, for example, a new sudo into Debian, then we are doing things
wrong and setting our priorities wrong. This is indrecibly frustrating
and time consuming busy work that doesn't require my qualification at
all, and I REALLY have other things to do than that.

It is especially frustrating when we're obviously being holier than
the pope, when for example translators submit translations for very
obviously non-FSF software with "Copyright Free Software Foundation"
or with boilerplate copypaste headers stating a license that is
totally different from the package that is being translated etc.

Strictly, as a maintainer I MUST reject such translations because a po
file also contains work by the original author which a translator
cannot arbitrarily relicense, not even accidentally by just not paying
proper attention.

>> (and I doubt that all our source packages have accurate d/copyright,
>> even less so when it comes to the year-information.)

Amen.

While I understand that having debian/copyright is vitally important,
we NEED to relax our rules to reduce the effort necessary since it's
demotivating busy work that I feel noone cares about.

Greetings
Marc
Mannheim, Germany  |     Beginning of Wisdom "     |