Re: Please, minimize your build chroots

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 09:45:14PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> The other one: There are a bunch of packages whose unit tests rely on tzdata. The tzdata
> package changes often during the lifetime of stable, and as a result, some package might
> stop building from source. If we wanted to know in advance which packages might break after
> a tzdata update, we could use the available information in the build-depends fields.

No, that won't work.

In your builds, how many percent of the packages that did have tzdata
installed during the build did not have a direct build dependency?

Looking at the dependency trees, I'd assume the vast majority of
packages where tzdata was installed during the build do not have
a direct build dependency.

This could easily become the nightmare situation where one changed
dependency somewhere makes 100 packages FTBFS that do need tzdata
during the build, but previously got it installed through other
build dependencies.

> As you requested, I think the above two are technical reasons, not
> merely "because policy says so".

Thanks, I do appreciate that.

> Thanks.

cu