Re: Please, minimize your build chroots

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 01:59:40PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> El 28/1/23 a las 12:50, Andreas Henriksson escribió:
>
> > Claiming there's no point to free software when the problem is simply
> > that you are using an *unsupported* setup?!?!
>
> Unsupported by whom? What is supported or unsupported is explained in policy.
> Policy says it must work. Therefore it should be supported (by fixing the bugs).

Policy §2.5:
# "required"
#    Packages which are necessary for the proper functioning of the
#    system (usually, this means that dpkg functionality depends on
#    these packages). Removing a "required" package may cause your
#    system to become totally broken and you may not even be able to use
#    "dpkg" to put things back, so only do so if you know what you are
#    doing.

> That's a straw man. I'm not proposing anything of the sort. Policy says
> packages must build when essential and build-essential packages
> are installed (plus build-dependencies).

Build-essential _packages_.  Not the "build-essential" package which very
clearly says its dependencies are purely informational.

> You and others are essentially saying I should not follow policy

No, we are saying that we believe your understanding of the policy is
flawed.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Let's make a Debian conference in Yalta, Ukraine.