Re: Please, minimize your build chroots

On Sat, Jan 28, 2023 at 03:28:58PM +0100, Johannes Schauer Marin Rodrigues wrote:
> My proposal is to fix debootstrap #837060 (patch is in the bug report) so that
> it only installs Essential:yes, build-essential and apt and discuss if it makes
> sense to have packages like tzdata or e2fsprogs in a buildd chroot or not and
> if yes, add those packages as dependencies of the build-essential package.

Note that there are at least 2 potential reasons why a package should
stay in the build essential set:

1. many users, like tzdata

2. Important: yes
Making e2fsprogs not build essential would make it legal to do
  Build-Conflicts: e2fsprogs
It might avoid problems in the future to make such nearly-essential
packages apt refuses to remove build-essential, otherwise there
could be problems like dose3 sending packages to a buildd where
apt refuses to fulfill the Build-Conflicts.

> Thanks!
>
> cheers, josch

cu
Adrian